Create Your Own Pattern
We provide a lot of patterns built-into the app, which cover most cases, however you may have a very specific or complex pattern that we haven’t yet included.
In this case you can create a Custom pattern.
The process is simple:
- Add one full rotation of your pattern to your calendar. (i.e. all shifts up to when it starts to repeat)
- In the Pattern Picker, Start a New Rota and allow it to use what’s already been added to your calendar.
- It usually finds and selects all the shifts for you, but you can adjust the selected range of days if needed to get it right.
- Test the pattern by using Show Preview and make sure you’ve included any empty off days at the end of your selected range so it repeats correctly.
- That’s it!
In this page, I’ll go through each step and explain how to do it within the app.
1. Add your roster shifts to your calendar
You only need to add the shifts up to when it repeats. You do this using the Shifts Picker.
aksdhfpiashfpiasjhgpaisdjghapidsugh explain how to do this isjfhapisughapisuhg
NOTE: If your roster never repeats, then you should skip using patterns and just drop the shifts into your calendar for your entire roster.
2. Add a Pattern from what’s already in your calendar (Custom Pattern)
To add a custom pattern from our built-in patterns list, do this from the Shift/Pattern Picker.
- Tap the + button in the top-right of the main screen
- Tap “Add Pattern/Rota”
- You’ll see the Picker panel appear at the bottom with the Patterns tab selected.
- Tap the Start New Rota button
If the app detects that you’ve already added shifts to your calendar, it will ask if these are part of the pattern you want to create. If not, say NO.
You will be shown the Patterns List with the “Other/Custom Pattern” selected.
TIP: If you can’t find what you need, you can create it yourself – just choose the “Other/Custom Pattern” option.
If you tap on each pattern in the list, it will show you a preview of it below so you can see what it looks like.
REMEMBER – all of these patterns can be customised, so look for one that’s similar to what you need as it can be customised.
For the On/Off (Supports any shift) pattern, you’ll see 2 options appear below the list to type the number of shifts and days off. This allows you to start customising this pattern if it’s the one you need.
Once you’ve chosen a pattern, tap OK at the top to begin customising it.
You will see the Pattern Properties appear below the calendar. This is where you can customise your chosen pattern.
TIP: You can use the splitter bar (horizontal bar) above the Pattern Properties to make the panel larger if you prefer – just drag the bar upwards.